We’ve come across various methods of shirt designs, be it from quotes to parodies of famous shows. These designs have been crafted in numerous ways, be it from silk screen printing or an iron-on sticker. An uncommon method of creating a shirt design is airbrushing.
Indeed, airbrushing t-shirts is a known manner of designing one’s clothes. It’s uncommon due to the concept of each being as unique as the other. Most of these shirts are handcrafted thus it’s not common to see two copies of the same design except if it’s requested by a client.
If you’re interested to embark on designing t-shirts with the aid of an airbrush, there are a few things that you’ll have to keep in mind.
– It’s best to have your own complete set of an airbrush kit as well as a certain selection of textile paint. Having a wide set of colors can be difficult if your client base is targeting certain designs. Also, unused paints will dry out in time which can be quite a downer.
– Before you make a business out of this, it’s best to be more familiar with handling an airbrush. Having a sloppy work can lead to bad results therefore it’s best to know your craft before setting up in the market.
– Practice makes perfect. Therefore practice your strokes as much as you can. You can try painting on extra fabrics or you can also opt to buy a few meters of a cheap fabric from the nearest textile shop.
– Be an expert on the basics. It’s a necessity to be flawless when it comes to creating the alphabet as well as to symbols. Most individuals would love to have their name painted on their shirts. If you’re doubtful, you can make use of stencils to maintain consistency.
– Cotton shirts are your best friend. It’s best to heat set or steam the shirt prior to painting on it to make sure that the design doesn’t wash out.
– Make sure to have a shirt board or any hard and sturdy piece of material to help prop a shirt while adhering the design. These boards also soak up the paint that manages to bleed through the fabric.
– Make sure to remind your customers not to iron on the printed side to avoid the paint from flaking off.
With these simple steps, you can not only benefit on a nice looking unique shirt but also be able to build a business (if you’re thinking to) out of airbrushing shirts.